Bissell is a great industry player which I like, especially for their low prices and their quality products. I while ago, I was talking about their most expensive upright, the Anna model, but today I’ll be tackling a more sturdy option, which is the Bissell PowerClean Multi Cyclonic. Now, if you didn’t know, this unit evolved from the older Healthy Home 16N5 (16N5F, 16N5T, 16N54). The PowerClean gamma itself has several models, starting with the one I analyze today, continuing with the PowerClean Rewind 62X5 and ending with the PowerClean OnePass 35831 which is also the cheapest. Don’t worry, I’ll compare these to see what 16N59 brings to the table.
The PowerClean Multi Cyclonic is a bagless upright which is based on the cyclonic technology developed and deployed by Bissell onto their latest products. 9 cyclones filter the debris and dirt and ensure the unit is outputting constant suction. The appliance comes in two parts that you can easily and quickly assembly together by using the 4 supplied screws. Before I go deeper into my review, here’s an outline with what you’ll get today:
- a table with all the specs and features of the PowerClean Multi Cyclonic 16N59
- a list with all its advantages and disadvantages
- a comparison chart, putting side by side all the PowerClean Models
- a place where you can get a lovely deal for this product
In order to get with familiarized with the product and make an informed purchasing decision, you need to take a closer look at it:
The key features
Specifications and features
|Suction power||The unit comes with a system containing 9 cyclones that provide continuous suction. The motor is powerful enough to pull out most of the embedded dirt from a deep carpet. The brushroll can be turned on or off depending on the vacuumed surface, which in term ensures a safe cleaning of your hard floors. The brushroll auto-shuts off if the vacuum is placed in upright position. A nice touch is the anti-clog hose, which in a way adds up to the maximum suction. Overall, I would say it has a great suction force, comparable to other models from it's class, such as Hoover Air Steerable or Oreck Magnesium RS.|
|Input power||The 12 amps consume 1,320 watts, which can be considered normal for an upright. In order to diminish the risk of getting electrocuted, it comes with a polarized plug (one of the metal blades is wider than the other). This means the plug will fit only one way into your power outlet.|
|Dust capacity||The dust capacity is 0.12 gallons, which is far less than I would expect from a heavy duty vac. However, emptying the dirt container is easy and straight forward. When you see that dirt has reached the "Full" mark, you can just remove the bin from the unit and thanks to the Easy Empty system, you can use a button to release the it wherever you want (but hopefully, a big trash bag). The container can also be cleaned easily. However, if you use water to clean it, make sure it's completely dried before installing it back into the unit.|
|Filtration system efficiency||The advanced AireTight filtration system ensures that all the air exiting the vacuum is filtered through HEPA technology, so no airborne particles bigger than 0.3 microns will escape the vacuum cleaner. I should also mention the pre-motor washable foam filter, which protects the electrical parts from fine dust.|
|Weight and Dimensions||Weights 22 lbs., which is a bit too much IMO, but if you don't have a multi-story house - don't worry, the big rubbered wheels will do most of the work for you. Bissell also designed a nice handle on front of the unit, enabling you to easily carry or place the it however you want. Measures 36 x 16 x 12.5 inches.|
|Warranty||Comes with a 5-year warranty, the longest I've seen from Bissell. The vacuum cleaner features a lifetime belt that is hassle free since you will never have to change it.|
|Accessories||BISSELL PowerClean is equipped with a mini TurboBrush, a combination of upholstery tool/dusting brush, a telescoping wand which can easily be extended to reach curtains and ceiling corners, a 4" upholstery tool and of course, a crevice tool. All the accessories that come in the package fit securely and neatly onboard, and even during sudden moves, you don't have to worry about them falling off.|
|Special features||Height adjustment - You can adjust the height on 7 levels, by simply turning the dial that you can find on the head nozzle. The lowest setting is meant for bare floors and low pile rugs (although I recommend you use the second setting for this). The medium setting is for medium pile carpets, and the high setting is for shag or frieze carpets. Just make sure you don't use the rotating brush on these, as they may get fuzzy.
Light - Although it's not a LED, it is still useful in some situations. I just wish they would have placed the bulb in a different way, as to shine more the front of the unit and not the unit itself.
Dual edge cleaning - Small brushes and air channels are mounted on the sides of the nozzle, allowing you to clean better along walls and baseboards.
Soft bumper - protects both your vacuum cleaner and your furniture.
|Usability||The vacuum cleaner comes with a long cord which winds around two twist-release hooks. The carpet brush switch and power are conveniently located at the top of the handle, a very ergonomic place for them. You can adjust the height of the power brush according to your flooring type by using a rotating switch located right side of the nozzle. 30 ft. of power cord ensure you have a wide cleaning radius, and the cleaning path width of 15" allows you to move faster and easier.|
|Price||Unfortunately, this is one of the most expensive Bissell vacuum cleaners, but I've still managed to find a good deal for this model, so make sure you check it out.|
PowerClean Multi Cyclonic 16N59 vs Healthy Home 16N5F vs PowerClean 1-Pass 35831 vs PowerClean Rewind 62X5
|Bissell PowerClean Multi Cyclonic - 16N59||Bissell Healthy Home 16N5F||Bissell PowerClean OnePass - 35831||Bissell PowerClean Rewind - 62X5|
|Weight||22 lbs||22 lbs||17.5 lbs||17.5 lbs|
|Filtration||AireTight HEPA||AireTight HEPA||Washable filters||Multi-Level Filtration|
|Length of the power cord||30ft||30ft||25ft||25ft|
|Cleaning System||9x Multi Cyclonic||9x Multi Cyclonic||Helix System||Multi Cyclonic|
|Warranty||5 years||5 years||3 years||3 years|
Here are some thoughts from happy owners:
- “You will be really surprised the first time you’ll use the vacuum by how much dust and eventually pet hair you’ll pick up from what you thought to be a reasonably clean carpet. This happens because of the powerful suction of this upright model. You will be able to see all the dust as it comes in, thanks to the cyclonic action canister that is built from clear plastic”.
- “The combination of high power suction and rotating power brush gives you excellent cleaning capabilities. This works way better than any vacuum cleaner in the same range of price from the competitor brands. You will be surprised to see that the Bissell PowerClean performs even better than an expensive top of the line Hoover”.
- “Since this is a bagless model of vacuum cleaner, the emptying process if very easy. All you have to do is to detach the receptacle with the press of a button, and then release the bottom lid by pressing another button. Just be careful to ensure you perform this operation on top of the trash.”
- “The 16N59 features two extremely easy to replace filters. The turbo upholstery brush is “air powered”, works great on upholstery and it’s perfectly adequate for its intended function.”
- When in operation, the unit is rather noisy
- The brush and body of the vacuum are thick and it might be difficult to vacuum under beds and other low furniture, even if the handle is articulated.
- It works on full power all the time and there is no suction control.
- The vacuum cleaner is a bit too heavy to carry up and down the stairs.
Final comments and VGM
The Bissell PowerClean Multi Cyclonic might not be the perfect vacuum cleaner for everyone, but if you have a single floor house or apartment, it will perform very well on hard flooring and carpets and could be a fair solution to your cleaning needs. If you have pets, this vacuum cleaner has an admirable performance against pet hair. The bagless system is easy and very convenient to use. The product is among the best built bagless upright vacuum cleaners and it is very popular among consumers. Overall, the 16N59 provides a good value for its price and receives the following VGM:
What do you think about this bagless upright? Plan to buy it? Own it and want to share something? Let’s talk, use the form bellow to get started.
Latest posts by Jason Roberts (see all)
- iLife A6 – another robot vacuum from the Beetles family - May 28, 2017
- Shark Rotator DuoClean Powered Lift-Away Speed – a complete review - May 25, 2017
- Neato D5 Connected – the spearhead of robot vacuums - May 6, 2017