Tile flooring can look extremely dirty if its not cleaned on a regular basis. The cleaning frequency often depends upon the color of tiles and grout. Also tiles clearly tend to show up dirt more than rugs, carpets or other types of floor covering and it’s for this reason tile floors need to be cleaned more often. No matter if we’re talking about mosaic, natural stone, marble, ceramic, quarry (unglazed ceramic), porcelain or glass, tiles tend to accumulate mud, dust and debris fairly easy, but one of their main advantages is that they can also be cleaned easier, especially with the units I’m going to present in the following minutes. If you’re in a hurry, check out my top of vacuum cleaners, mops and scrubbers (arranged in no particular order):
Most experts suggest that ceramic floors should be cleaned everyday using soap water and scrubs, but is there any solution for allergens and dirt particles? Of course there is! You can either scrub them off, or you could vacuum them. This is where vacuum cleaners play a vital role. When you use a powerful vacuum to remove surface dirt, you also get to the bottom of the debris that has been collecting on your tile floor. Thus, you can sit back and relax knowing that your tiled floors are being properly cleaned and that there won’t be any build up over time.
Choosing the best vacuum cleaner for tiles
There are different types of cleaning machines for tiled floors available on the market today… all you have to do is find the perfect one for your house. Let’s have a close look at some important aspects that will help you in making an informed decision.
- Quarry vs. glazed ceramic floor tiles – If your house has glazed tiles, then you can feel safe to an extent, as this type of flooring repels dirt. However, unglazed tiles attract dirt and need higher maintenance. For quarry tiles, you’ll have to invest in a powerful vacuum cleaner that comes available with a wet brush or mop as an accessory, because these type of floors require lot of damp mopping.
- Cleaning grout – You can clean grout, ovens, fridges and many many other things with a mix of baking soda and tap water. Grout absorbs grease and gets stained easily. After cleaning it, you can apply a silicone-based sealer that ensures that future accidents won’t leave permanent stains.
- Steaming – Several cleaning machines offer the possibility to vac and steam in the same time. This is particularly needed in the case of tiles, since this type of flooring is resistant to high temperatures and can be easily sanitized.
- Controlling the brushroll – Since tile floors may be accounted as bare floors, you will definitely need an upright which offers the possibility to turn the head brushroll off, so all dirt will be sucked inside the machine, instead of being spread off behind and around the machine.
- Filtration options – The perfect vacuum for tiles should have a good filtration system, since tile flooring particularly accumulates more electrostatic dust. I’ve already covered in this guide most of the filtration options, be sure to check it out.
- Types of vacuum cleaners – The best vacuum for tile floors is either a canister or an upright model. You should be very careful in choosing its attachments, as some can even scratch tiles. One important thing to keep in mind: when buying a vacuum for tile floors, you should pick one that is very maneuverable. This type of flooring is a bit slippery, thus the vacuum cleaner you choose should have strong rubberized wheels, especially if it’s an upright model. Cordless models are preferred (or at least lightweight models).
- Autonomy – Speaking of cordless vacuum cleaners, you should consider buying only those with good batteries. Higher voltages indicate that the product has more suction power. Choose vacuum cleaners with batteries that deliver 18 Volts or more, and that could last for 30 minutes or more. Another thing you should keep in mind when shopping for a cordless is the charging time. Anything more an 8h is IMO unacceptable.
Top vacuum cleaners, scrubbers and mops for Ceramic Floors
Let’s have a close look at the best unit, that can easily clean your tiles effectively and ensure they’re always sparkling clean:
Shark Rocket Powerhead
The brand new Rocket Powerhead is a lightweight vacuum that ensures powerful cleanup of your tile floors. With the latest brushroll technology, you’ll get your tiles cleaned in no time. You can also manually switch between brushrolls, pop up the dust bin in seconds and control the unit using the ergonomic handle and the digital controls located on it. The suction power is impressive. No dust or debris escapes its airflow.
Key Characteristics of the Shark Rocket Powerhead:
- Lightweight vacuum with superior suction, 2 types of brushrolls and an ergonomic handle to easily clean both dust and pet hair
- Provides a low gravity center, so it’s perfect for people with back problems
- Economical 600W motor and LED lights
- Unique swivel steering
- Long 5 year warranty
- Read my complete assessment or more reviews of this product
Dyson V6 Absolute/Fluffy
The V6 is another great unit for vacuuming tile floors. If you have even tiles, the Fluffy version is all you need, else you may want to consider the Absolute model which also comes with a motorized brushroll which also works very well on low pile carpets. The Fluffy nozzle is designed to pick up lots of stuff, from cheerios to pet dander. The suction of this cordless is more than you need, but there’s one catch: the batteries last around 20 minutes of continuous cleaning. If you can work with this, then this unit is perfect for you. Thanks to its smart design, you can maneuver it with ease on or above the floor. Besides standard accessories (such as a crevice tool or a dust brush), the kit also includes a wall-charging dock which is a perfect storage solution.
Key Characteristics of the Dyson V6 Absolute:
- Extremely light weight and cordless
- Powerful V2 pulse motor
- HEPA filtration
- 2 years of warranty
- Check out my heavily discussed review or go directly for a good deal
Miele Classic C1 Olympus
Miele C1 Olympus is not only great for tile floors, but also works on hardwood flooring and low pile carpets. This entry level unit from Miele has a powerful suction and a very good filtration system, which ensures a quality air flow. Although it’s a canister, the hose handle is comfortable and ergonomically correct. The motor of the vacuum is very efficient and is designed to run on a low amount of power. One good feature is its high capacity dust bag. It is completely sealed and easy to dispose. Due to its light weight (about 12 lbs.), it can be used to handle even small spills, and you can easily carry it around, i.e. up and down stairs in any multilevel house.
This vacuum cleaner is ideal for daily use, and comes with a long warranty. You can move around, cleaning different areas of your house, as it has a 22 ft power cord and a 8 ft hose, totaling a 30 ft reach radius. The sound level is also very low, which is a big plus IMO.
Key Characteristics of the Miele Olympus:
- Excellent filtration system
- Large 1.2 gallon bags
- Great suction power, perfect for tiles and other even/uneven bare floors. In fact, it looks like it is designed specifically for tile floors, low to medium pile carpets, and area rugs
- Read what other are saying about this vacuum cleaner
Bissell Symphony All-in-One Vacuum and Steam Mop (1132)
With this product, you can ensure a complete tile floor clean in one easy step. The new Bissell Symphony is an innovative vacuum, as well as steam cleaner. You can completely clean and sanitize bare floors without using bucket and mop or any harsh chemicals. The Symphony uses tap water to produce a powerful steam. Its Easy Touch Digital controls allow you to seamlessly switch between its multiple functions while cleaning, and you can vacuum and steam at the same time or even separately to match the right clean for the right situation. That means you wont’ have to spend hours in sweeping your tiled floor and then mop it separately! In fact, Bissell terms it as a “One Step Cleaning” – using just one device. You’ll be able to clean your floors, in just one pass without any need to broom or mop. Plus, its unique steam feature is lot easier than having to use a mop and bucket. When you’re done, you can easily pack it off using the Quick-Release Mop Pad Tray and an adjustable handle which makes storing a bliss. The results: a barefoot-ready, fresh clean floor that you and your family will love.
The Bissell Symphony comes with two machine-washable and reusable pads, one for scrubbing and one for cleaning. According to manufacturer’s manual, this vacuum cleaner is safe for all types of hard surfaces, including tile floors. You can also use it on vinyl floors without worrying about any damage. If you have other types of flooring, it’s better to test in on a small area before proceeding with cleaning your entire floor.
Key Characteristics of Bissell Symphony:
- You can easily sanitize with steam, using just water for getting rid of up to 99.99 percent bacteria and germs
- It saves lot of time by vacuuming and then steaming tile flooring at the same time
- It has easy-to-use digital controls and an unique 5 way adjustable handle. Its Quick Release Pad Tray is easy to handle, and the package comes with 4 mop pads included
- It provides speedy cleaning and mopping and has user friendly design
- Unique Dry Tank Technology will keep your tank dry while you’re steaming
- Check out my Bissell Symphony complete review, or find out what other buyers are saying about this vacuum cleaner
Hoover Floormate Deluxe
Hoover Floormate is a classic scrubber. People have been using Floormates for years, and I’ve talk with dozens of satisfied customers. Hoover recently revamped its line with new models, even a cordless version. The Floormate Deluxe is the newer brother of the Hoover SpinScrub. It doesn’t vacuum any more, but the scrubbing capabilities have improved. The dirty water is now completely separated from the clean water, in 2 different reservoirs, each with a 48 oz capacity. The product is relatively light-weighted at 14 lbs, and the nozzles can now be easily removed. There are 2 cleaning modes which you can use to clean your tiles: Wash and Dry.
Key Characteristics of Hoover Floormate Deluxe:
- Comes with proprietary counter-rotating brushes
- 2 cleaning modes for 2 different chores: Wash and Dry
- Comes with a 16 oz bottle of cleaning solution
- 2 years of warranty
- The handle folds for easier storage
- It’s relatively cheap
Shark Sonic Duo Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaner (ZZ550)
The Shark Sonic Duo is a power packed machine that promises you a quick and easy way to remove all types of stuck dirt that holds odors and allergens from area rugs, carpets and tile floors. It’s a complete floor care system that accurately cleans and finishes all tile floor surfaces AND carpets as well. It’s very convenient to use and offers a much better cleaning experience with less effort and time than conventional vacuum cleaners. The appliance has two scrub modes that allow you to tailor your cleaning process according to your personal floor care needs.
For the first time, you have a cleaning system that easily brakes the stuck-on grime and dirt, but is also very gentle, non-toxic and safe around your kids and pets. If you buy this appliance, you’ll have a fun and easy way to clean all your floors with the power of its scrubbing heads. The machine does all the hard work so you won’t have to make any effort in cleaning your tiles. No need to do extra scrubbing, no more back pains, no more lost hours. One piece of information to keep in mind: this product does not vacuum, it only scrubs.
Wood/ Hard Floor Cleaner
Shark Sonic Duo can deep clean hard floors and they’re left with an amazing non-streak finish without any dulling residue. To truly clean your tile floors the specially formulated cleaning solution and sonic action work together with its pads to get rid of all the dirt, even down into those tiny cracks.
Carpet Cleaning Action
Area rugs and carpets are easily rejuvenated and are left looking brighter and cleaner, and smelling much fresher. To truly clean your carpets and rugs, the Sonic Duo will first remove the visible dirt on the carpet surface. Then, it uses special carpet cleaning solution with new Trap and Remove Technology to do the rest of the work. It penetrates deeply and removes all the stuck dirt deep into its fibers. When the solution dries out, it immediately dehydrates all the stuck dirt, unlocking it from carpet fibers, so now its easy to remove it using a vacuum cleaner. Your carpets are left much cleaner and fresher.
Key Characteristics of Shark Sonic Duo:
- Swivel steering, AirGlide maneuverability and sharp head lights that ensure easy cleaning
- 1000 scrubs per minute, and 2 separate scrub modes for carpets and hard floors
- Carpet solution, hard floor solution, polish solution and spot remover for excellent results
- Unique 7 to 1 highly concentrated gentle and non-toxic cleaning solutions that are safe for family and pets
- Special washable microfiber pads for tile flooring and carpet cleaning
- Read my full review of the Shark Sonic Duo, or read what other people are saying about this appliance
Bissell Powerfresh Steam Mop (1940)
If you have a heavily trafficked tile floor that is constantly being used by kids and pets, then it may look unsightly and may need frequent cleaning. Occasional vacuum cleaning won’t do. Ether you can do the job manually or invest in a good steam mop that can not only clean but also sanitize your floor. The new Bissell PowerFresh is one of the best steam mops for tiles that’s also simple to use. It doesn’t use any chemicals and is lightweight. It’s so quiet that it won’t disturb your baby’s day time naps. It is suitable for all types of floors namely stone, ceramic, laminate linoleum, vinyl and sealed hardwood flooring.
Key Characteristics of BISSELL Powerfresh Steam Mop:
- SmartSet Steam Control ensures light cleaning for heavy messes.
- Easily removable water tank that you can fill up at the sink
- It’s easy scrubber flips down and reaches down to the crevices and grout
- Special spring breeze fragrance discs inserted in the mop pad for clean, fresh scent while you steam mop
- The mop has a low-profile head to clean into edges and corners.
- Read what people are saying about this steam mop
Tile flooring is a particular type of flooring which needs extra care when it comes to cleaning. It all comes down to the color, the type (starting with mosaic and ending with ceramic tiles), the dimensions and the grout used. I’ve covered above some of the cleaning tools (vacuum cleaners, steam mops and hybrids) I consider best suited for this chore. But if you have some other recommendations, I would be happy to read your comments.
Latest posts by Jason Roberts (see all)
- Count on me, stay tangle-free – the best vacuum cleaner for long hair - October 15, 2018
- BISSELL CrossWave Pet Pro – an upgrade to a classic - October 14, 2018
- Miele Compact C1 PowerLine – shifting the gear in the canister vacuums market - October 13, 2018