Miele Scout RX2 came like a big surprise. I wasn’t expecting a new robot vacuum from the German manufacturer, given the poor interest over their first version, the RX1. Don’t get me wrong, Miele is in my opinion in the top 3 vacuum cleaner producers of the world. Their canisters are absolutely stunning, in both looks and performance. However, robotic vacuums are another breed to cater and Miele hasn’t done too much in this area so far. However, things are about to change with the introduction of their new gadget. Although not yet available in the US, you will be able to enjoy spotless floors and carpets in the near future. Capable of 3D vision, the Scout RX2 can navigate your home and clean every nook and cranny. Technologically speaking, it’s one of the most advanced robot vacuums I’ve tested, so let’s discover more about this innovative home appliance and see if it’s worth the price tag.
- 1 Design
- 2 Performance
- 3 Miele Scout RX2 vs Scout RX2 Home Vision
- 4 Miele Scout RX2 Home Vision vs Ilife V7S Pro
- 5 Pros
- 6 Cons
- 7 Final thoughts and VGM
Check out how awesome this robot looks like:
Cleaning ability and suction power
To get all the dirt and debris out of your carpets and floors, this robot vacuum cleaner from Miele uses a comprehensive cleaning mechanism. It is made up of a turbo brush and a pair of long-fibre, side brushes which rotate and clean the areas which are hard to reach. These side-brushes actually extend on articulated arms when the unit detects that it is approaching the corners which need cleaning. It also implements a highly effective suction system with a power rating of approx. 1200 Pa. These three components work together to ensure that the robot vacuum cleaner does a thorough job. It can even vacuum up bulky dirt and debris such as cheerios, kitty litter and bread crumbs. The Miele Scout RX2 Home Vision internal mechanism cleans your home in 4 stages. They are branded by the producer as the “Quattro Cleaning Power”. In the first stage of cleaning, a set of rotating brushes sweep up dirt underneath the robot vacuum cleaner. After that, the side brushes which are set on articulated arms extend so as to clean up nearby corners. If the vacuum cleaner approaches an obstacle, these arms are passively retracted. A specialized beater bar proceeds to brush up the rough debris into a wide section that is located in the front of the unit. Immediately after this mechanism gathers the dirt, the robot vacuum activates the suction to suck up all the dirt and any remaining fine dust. This is drawn through a narrow opening into the dust bin canister located within the unit. In the fourth stage of cleaning, a special brushless motor powered by a high quality battery sucks up any residual dirt. This leaves your floors or carpets spotlessly clean. As you see in my video review, the unit got grades over 90% on all surfaces and for all types of dirt.
Input Power / Battery Life
The Scout RX2 Home Vision utilizes a lithium-ion battery with a power rating of 4,400 mAh. There is enough juice to clean your home for up to 2 hours continuously. During this time, the vacuum cleaner will cover an area of 2,500 feet with no need for a recharge. When the battery gets almost depleted, the robot vacuum cleaner will navigate back to its charging station. After that, it will take around 2 hours to charge it full. It is compatible with outlets that have a power rating of 120V-220V.
This Miele is part of a collection of home cleaning appliances that have won awards and received multiple accolades. It has a sleek design that indicates the manufacturer’s passion for effective minimalism. The dirt cleaned off your floors or carpets is stored in a high capacity 22 oz bin, comparable with what we have in the second version of Xiaomi or the Neato D7.
Filtration system efficiency
The unit has a filtration system made using Miele’s superior technology. Miele has always been the best at this chapter. The producer advertises the filter as AirClean Plus, which is just a fancy way of saying it is a HEPA+.
Weight and dimensions
Praised for its compact design, the Miele Scout RX2 weighs less than 12 pounds, which is still a lot IMO. However, it measures 13.93 x 13.93 x 3.34 inches (354 x 354 x 85 mm). It’s one of the shortest robovacs, which makes it ideal for many households. It is available in a sleek matte-black color, while the simple RX2 version also features a red line. Its size ensures that the robot can fit under furniture and in the most tight spaces.
Warranty and client support
This robot vacuum cleaner has a warranty which lasts 2 years. This is much longer than most of the robots currently in the market. Users can access tutorials about this robot online.
One of the special features of this vacuum cleaner is that it can navigate and clean multiple rooms at a time. Furthermore, you can program a schedule into the unit so that it will clean up your home at specific times of the day. To ensure a perfect clean, the Miele Scout RX2 Home Vision can perform multiple passes over the same area. It is able to accomplish this thanks to the built-in, advanced navigation system. Here are some other features:
- Wi-Fi capability and smartphone control. For easier manipulation, this robot vacuum cleaner can be controlled through an application. The producer says it is available on both Android and iOS smart devices, however, I couldn’t find the app on the Play Store. I’ve searched for it online, installed it from a 3rd party site which didn’t look official at all, and surprise surprise, it didn’t work, although I’ve lost 3h trying to make it happen. That begin said, I saw examples online on how you can use the app to set virtual boundaries, look at the video stream captured by the stereo cameras, check out battery stats, the size area cleaned and so on. Moreover, the Wi-Fi module can be completely detached, so you can ensure no hacker will watch you in your underwear, provided that he manages to get by the security measures installed by Miele’s engineers.
- Swing-out side brushes. These are a real novelty for me. The side-brushes are extended outside the main body case, and can passively contract if they encounter an obstacle.
- Non-parallel wheels. The power wheels are placed at an angle, allowing the unit to climb thick carpets and avoid the classic tangling process.
The box doesn’t contain too many accessories. Leaving aside the AAA batteries for the remote control, Miele didn’t pack any extra side-brushes of filters. The bin has a small brush on the top, which can be used to maintain the unit in perfect condition.
- 4 cleaning modes. They are “Corner mode”, “Auto mode”, “Spot mode” and “Turbo mode”. The Auto mode enables the unit to clean up your entire home and then return to base after the job is done. When it is set to Corner mode, this robot vacuum cleaner covers all the corners and then returns to the charging base. In the Spot mode, it cleans an area within a radius of 6 feet. In Turbo mode, the unit cleans 50% quicker than the Auto mode. The robot vacuum cleaner is able to achieve this by creating a bigger gap between cleaning lines.
- Remote control. For maximized control, this robot vacuum can be directed using a handy remote controller.
- Quiet operation. The Miele Scout RX2 Home Vision provides one of the best user experiences as it cleans up your home. This is because it works silently. As a matter of fact, it has been rated as one of the most quiet robot vacuum cleaners. It produces a hum of only 60 dB (decibels). As such, it can clean up a room while you’re in there without being a distraction.
- Furniture protection. While working, the Miele Scout RX2 Home Vision has a set of infrared sensors on its front panel which prevent it from colliding into furniture. The front rubber bumper along its outer edge and the side-brushes are also contributing to this feature.
- Cliff avoidance. The unit has a set of three infrared sensors which are located on its bottom. They help it to avoid falling down the stairs.
- Easy maintenance. This is an appliance which is quite easy to use. The process of maintaining it takes only 7 minutes.
- Climbing skills. It can climb up raised surfaces of up to 0.75 inches in height.
The Miele Scout RX2 utilizes the “3D Smart Navigation” system. Thanks to this technology, it can identify its own position in the room during cleaning. Furthermore, the unit follows a specific pattern as it works. It uses the ceiling to create a real-time digital map. After that, it aligns the internal movement algorithm to follow this map. As a result, this robot vacuum cleaner is able to clean up dirt, dust and debris in a systematic way. As a matter of fact, it cleans up from one end of the room to the other in a progressive manner. A most helpful feature of the navigation of the RX2 is that it can effectively sidestep collisions. It can also resume its original path if it gets knocked off course. By depending on its advanced navigation system, the unit also dodges any stairs and drops which could damage it.
Miele Scout RX2 vs Scout RX2 Home Vision
The 2 models look almost the same, however, the standard RX2 is cheaper than the Home Vision model, because it features a weaker battery (60 mins vs 120 mins of continuous work – 2200 mAh vs 4400 mAh).
Miele Scout RX2 Home Vision vs Ilife V7S Pro
I wanted to compare a $900 Miele with a $200 iLife, so here’s the visual idea, with both these robots on a authentic standard sumo-robot arena:
This robot vacuum cleaner is a quiet machine. It will clean your house while humming in a medium-low tone. This a big advantage for those who have pets in their households. The Miele Scout RX2 is stylish and easy to operate. The unit is easy to start and its manual is comprehensive. When set to Auto Mode, this robot vacuum performs an excellent job. The transitions from carpets and rugs to tiled floors are smooth. The RX2 does a good job of sucking up pet hair and fine dust.
Some consumers who have bought and used this robot vacuum cleaner think that the Miele Scout RX2 only does a good job of automatic cleaning if it is handling a rectangular room. If placed in an irregularly-shaped room, some consumers say the unit gets confused and is unable to clean uniformly and thoroughly. Others, such as me, didn’t manage to connect and use the app.
Final thoughts and VGM
When it comes to robot vacuum cleaners, the Miele Scout RX2 Home Vision takes the cake. It is efficient, capable, highly maneuverable and can be controlled remotely as well. The appliance has a beautiful design and packs some of the most high-tech brushes in the robot vacuum cleaner industry. It is in a class of its own and is definitely a great addition to your home cleaning appliances! Here’s the VGMrv:
VGMrv table for Miele Scout RX2 Home Vision
|Weight and Dimensions||9|
(VacuumsGuide.com Mark for robo-vacs)
What do you think about the Miele Scout RX2? Should Miele bring this to the US as soon as possible?
Update! It’s already here!!!
Latest posts by Jason Roberts (see all)
- 10 best vacuums for tiles – A sincere 2019 overview - January 13, 2019
- Shark ION F80 MultiFLEX review – pros, cons and comparison charts - December 22, 2018
- Miele Compact C2 Electro+ PowerLine vs Miele Complete C2 Hard Floor - December 19, 2018