It was September 2016 when Neato Robotics introduced their new innovation the Botvac D5 Connected. I had the Neato D5 in my shop since January, but just couldn’t find the time to test it properly. Today is the day I’ve completed the tests and now I’m ready to tell the story of this robot vacuum. The Neato D5 is a part of the Neato Botvac Connection line. This array of robotic vacuums is capable of letting you control the device with the comfort of your own smartphones. If you recall, I’ve already covered their previous bots from the D series – the D75/D80/D85 models. These products couldn’t connect via WiFi. The new D3 and D5 models can, and they are wonderful.
If you look at the price of the Neato D5, you’ll realize you can get a premium robovac for less than $500, a thing which was not possible 2 or 3 years ago. I welcome this trend and I hope iRobot embrace it too, as lately several Chinese robotic cleaners are beginning to offer worthy cheaper alternatives on this market. But let’s get back to our business, here’s what you’ll learn from me in the next couple of minutes:
- what are the complete specs of the D5 Connected
- how it compares with Neato D3 and with the full Neato Connected
- from where to buy it at a cheaper rate
Design & Appearance
Here are the best shoots and the video I took with my camera:
Specifications & technical information
There are several things which contribute to the superior cleaning power of this machine. Apart from the D shape one can find in any Neato, the D5 achieves an impressive cleaning thanks to its combo brush, a brushroll made of rubber and nylon bristles which effectively picks up impurities such human or pet hair from carpets and other parts of the floor. Moreover, if you’re a cleaning freak and don’t want to spend extra on the Neato Connected, you can separately get the spiral blade brush. This brushroll optimizes the deep cleaning of debris and dirt and is one of the essential differences between these 2 models. The suction itself is impressive. I estimate it at around 2000 Pa, which is a bit higher than what we can see in Xiaomi’s robot. Yet the one thing that clearly differentiates this robot from its competition is the size of the brushroll, which goes almost on the entire width of the machine. Here’s a pic which clearly shows this, in comparison with Xiaomi Mi and the latest robot from iLife, the V7S Pro:
As you can see, Neato’s brushroll is almost twice the size of the other 2.
Input Power/Battery Life
The Neato Botvac D5 utilizes a high capacity lithium-ion battery which enables the vacuum to navigate and clean an area of over 4500 square feet before it needs to be charged. When the device is fully charged, it can function continuously for about 90 minutes. In case the vacuum won’t be able to finish cleaning the area and its battery runs low, it will go to the charging base and after it charges, it will automatically resume the task from the point it stopped. Given the high suction power, I find this autonomy to be quite good.
Huge Dust Capacity
Neato accustomed us with large dirt bins. The D5 continues this nice tradition, effectively reducing the burden of frequently emptying the debris. It will also carefully notify you once the recipient needs to be emptied. The dust compartment can hold 24 oz of dirt, more than almost any other robot vacuum out there.
Filtration System Efficiency
The filtration system installed in this robot is high class. It works well for homes with pets, as it can capture even the tiniest particles and reduce the allergens. Airborne dust with the size of higher than 0.3 microns is captured by the vacuum thanks to its ultra-large HEPA-like filter. Neato has 3 types of filters in production: Standard, High Performance and Ultra Performance. The D5 comes with the latter. You should change the filters every once in a while. Neato recommends doing this once every 2 months, depending on the usage, yet I find it a bit extreme; IMO the filter can last more.
Weight and Dimensions
The product weights 7.5 lbs. and measures 12.7 x 13.2 x 3.9 inches. Its lightweight and compact properties make it convenient to use and portable to bring anywhere. The slim design makes it easy for the device to fit under furniture and clean surfaces efficiently, as you can see in my video.
The Botvac D5 is designed to have numerous distinct features, which makes it different from the other robot vacuums available on the market today. The company included all the traditional features from the previous designs, but enhanced them, according to the needs of the potential consumers.
- Edge Cleaning Technology: A lot of vacuum cleaners can’t reach near the edges. Botvac D5’s side brush can reach within 0.5 inches of walls. Baseboards can thus be cleaned effectively.
- Corner Cleaner Technology: Thanks to its D-shaped structure, this vacuum can move as close as possible to the corners of the room. Comparing it to the traditional circular design, the D-shape is proven to be more effective.
- Smartphone App: The app is pretty simple to use. You can search for the app directly on the Android Play or IOS Market, or scan the QR code which you can find in the product manual; this will take you directly to the downloading page. Unfortunately, users don’t have access to the dynamic map of the robot, built with SLAM and its laser sensor in real time. This is only available in the Connected model. This is a bit peculiar, since I’m pretty sure both robots are using the same laser sensor and the same software. I find this one of the main reasons to purchase the Connected. Here are a few screenshots from the app:
As you can see, the app allows you to see a few things. One of the most interesting sections is the cleaning history. This allows you to see exactly how much you’re actually using the product and to measure the daily average cleaned area.
In order for the Botvac D5 to function even efficiently, Neato is offering a few accessories and extras inside the package:
- A Charging Dock – An essential component of this cleaning system.
- Boundary Markers – This magnetic strip will let you set the movement limits. You can install it on your doorways, around cords and furniture or in any place where you don’t want the device to go. This strip is about 13 feet long and can be easily cut into segments.
- A Small Cleaning Brush – In order to keep your device clean and working on its best condition, you need this cleaning tool to remove remaining impurities from the dirt bin, brushes and filters.
- 2 different power cord heads – They provide international visibility to Neato products.
- 1 Extra Ultra Performance Filter – You get one extra filter to keep you going.
- USB Data Cable – This can be used to download the data or to upload a new firmware.
You can buy extra accessories directly on the producer’s page.
The D5 utilizes laser technology which enables it to scan the floors of the room and plan the path that it will take. In the end, the Neato D5 will efficiently make your floors clean without leaving a spot behind. The smart navigation technology also ensures that it will avoid obstacles and cliffs such as existing furniture or staircases. Unfortunately (and similarly with Xiaomi and other laser guided robots), you can’t really tell it where to go, because it doesn’t even come with a remote control. The concept behind the product is to leave it do its job. Only the Connected version allows you to use your smartphone as a remote control. The sound produced is a bit high, reaching 70 db. Another thing which could be fine-tuned is the speed of the robot. It moves slower than Xiaomi (probably to clean deeper), which leave the impression of bulkiness and which is also a bit annoying. Other than these 2 little drawbacks, the robot performs admirably at all chapters. The movement algorithm covers all the available surface gradually, systematically. It avoids obstacles, reaches corners, goes over thick carpets and down to hard floors, under furniture and back to the charging station without issues.
Neato Robotics offer as warranty for the D5 one year starting from the date of purchase. For the batteries, the warranty covers six months from the purchase date. If there are problems with the device, the company will either replace or repair the product or, if the technical staff won’t be able to repair or even do replacement of the unit, they will for sure offer a full refund. Just make sure that you save a copy of the official receipt to qualify for the warranty service. By the way, if you purchase directly from Amazon you’ll enjoy their warranty policy instead.
Neato recommend a $600 retail price, but occasionally you can find a great deal for this product.
Neato D5 vs Neato D3 vs Neato Connected
Here’s a small comparison chart between the latest Botvac Connected robots from Neato, the D3, the D5 and the Connected:
|Cleaning area (1 cycle)|
|Manual Drive (remote control)|
|Convergence Map in smartphone app|
The Final Verdict
Neato D5 is a convenient helper for every homeowner, as it embodies high-end functionality and technology. It is great not only for maintenance, but for actually cleaning. It is absolutely perfect for people who are always on the go, busy with their own work and other activities. You can connect this product with smart assistants such as Amazon Alexa or Google One Assistant and further automate your home. Its brute power is impressive. Here is my final VGMrv for this product:
VGMrv table for Neato D5
|Weight and Dimensions||10|
(VacuumsGuide.com Mark for robo-vacs)
What’s your saying on this robot vacuum? Would you invest in a Neato?
Latest posts by Jason Roberts (see all)
- Best Way To Clean The Movie Room - July 2, 2020
- Does A Dehumidifier Reduce The Amount Of Dust In Your Home? - June 17, 2020
- Holife Cordless Vacuum Review – A Powerful Cheap Stick - April 21, 2020